Position: Part-Time School Nurse
Date Revised: 8/11/2023
Reports To: Executive Director
Wage/Hour Status: Competitive
Provides appropriate and quality nursing care for students and staff following Standing Orders, which may include assessment, outpatient treatment, and convalescent care patients resting or residing in the health room. Provides health education to promote wellness and preventive health care, as appropriate, and assists with medical clearance for students.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the requirements listed.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN) or closely related field.
Certified in CPR or BLS (or will obtain in the first 12 months of hire).
Good interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with students, parents, and staff.
Ability to perform duties without direct supervision.
Must enjoy working with children and adolescents.
Preferably a minimum of 3 years of related work experience as a Registered Nurse.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Assessment and Health Care
- Performs assessment of students and staff that includes the appropriate history and physical, and provides direct care following Standing Orders and other policies and procedures, consistent with standard nursing practice guidelines.
- May provide support on field trips.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Consults with the Executive Director for more seriously ill or injured students or staff and refers for Emergency Services when indicated.
- Coordinates referral of students to appropriate community medical facilities as needed.
- Performs medical clearance for program entry, and screens students for readmission to school following absences for illness or injury and issues appropriate medical restrictions.
- Implements provider treatment plans to include dispensing medication and providing ongoing treatment.
- Determines disposition of students (e.g. return to class, home, sponsor, private medical provider or overnight admission) according to Standing Orders and policies and procedures; and maintains professional and supportive communication with parents, staff, providers and other medical facilities regarding students’ health status as appropriate.
- Coordinates with counselors as appropriate.
- May coordinate population-based care, such as the Mississippi Department of Health flu shot program.
- Documents accurately all services provided in the electronic health record, and maintains strict confidentiality of medical records.
- Assists in screening student health records for abnormalities and other notable conditions, and reviews immunization records for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintains infection control and safety standards in the workplace.
- Work is conducted in an office/health room environment and may require work to be conducted in non-standard workplaces.
- Work is typically conducted Monday through Friday at normal business hours.
NOTE: The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills that may be required.